1. Produce graduates who possess strong basic knowledge in Genetics and Molecular Biology to be applied in various fields and can contribute to the development of the nation and to sustainable human and environmental development in an ethical and professional manner,
2. Produce graduates skilled in commonly used molecular biology techniques who are able to design and develop research in the field of genetics, molecular biology and related areas, for example biotechnology,
3. Produce graduates in Genetics and Molecular Biology that are highly qualified, broadminded, and posses the knowledge and skills required to join the life science and biotechnology industries, including agricultural, medical, fishery, industrial and pharmaceutical sectors, and are capable of developing and implementing various projects,
4. Produce graduates in the field of Genetics and Molecular Biology that are highly competitive for continued learning to an advanced degree level in the field of life sciences in higher learning institutions worldwide
At the end of the programme, graduates with a BSc in Genetics are able to:
1. Apply knowledge through understanding of biological concepts and principles in the practice of genetics and molecular biology.
2. Adopt a practical, safe and efficient approach to the practice of genetics and molecular biology in the laboratory and workplace as well as analyze issues and evaluate the appropriate use of resources.
3. Appreciate the need for sustainable development of the environment in the practice of genetics and molecular biology and the importance of responsible, personal, social and cultural inter-relationships.
4. Value the importance of ethics and the need for professionalism in the practice of genetics and molecular biology.
5. Communicate information, clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing and also be a responsible and productive team player with good interpersonal skills.
6. Utilize, apply and adopt scientific methods in the practice of genetics and molecular biology as well as appreciate the need for self-assessment and improvement in meeting with the demands of industry and society.
7. Plan and execute research projects with efficient time management and use of resources.
8. Exhibit efficient and effective management and entrepreneurial skills.
Genetics and Molecular Biology graduates could either choose the path of becoming academicians or scientists by furthering their studies at Master’s and/or PhD levels; or venturing into other professions (among others):
i) Research/ Scientific officer (governmental/private agencies)
ii) Lab technician
iii) Plant/animal breeder (molecular-based breeding)
iv) High school educator
v) Sales and marketing of scientific tools and appliances
vi) Managers (government or private agencies)
vii) Biosafety officer
Semester I : September
Semester II : February
Deadline for Malaysian applicants : April for Semester I intake
Deadline for International applicants : June for Semester I intake and November for Semester II intake